Saturday, August 10, 2013

Looking Back In Time



A hundred years ago, a "Ladies Aide Society" assembled and buried a time-capsule in Oklahoma.  To protect it, they poured 12 inches of concrete on it.

A hundred years passed and they decided to dig it up and open it.  Everything was intact.  What I find interesting about the story (here) is what the women chose to include in the capsule -- it's an indication of what they considered important back then:

"The chest was full of treasures. Among the finds: a newspaper from the day the capsule was buried; a dress; a telephone; a flag; a pen used by President William McKinley; a camera; and a pair of women's shoes that still had their shine. Perhaps most remarkable was a phonograph record featuring voices of citizens from the era."

Cool, huh?

If we were to assemble a time-capsule today to be opened in a hundred years, what would you put in it??  Cellphone?  Jeggings?  iPad?

Join me in building a virtual capsule online -- toss in anything you believe reflects our time.

14 comments:

  1. This is an interesting question. Unfortunately, I suppose a cell phone is the most ubiquitous item that represents our era, but it should include a really cool case of some kind, to represent creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be representative of our era, I vote for one covered with tacky rhinestones. :)

      Delete
  2. A video with Keeping up with the Kardashians and Real Housewives of... on it. Then future societies will understand WHY they became drooling idiots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I can sense our decline as a species as it's happening.

      Delete
  3. I loved it, the hat and shoes in such pristine condition - for this era to be represented? I'm trying to think of something positive......all I can think of is immediacy, the 1 click era, instant gratification, all you can eat buffet's, gah! I think an ipad is pretty definitive though, some excellent shoes, a bank card, and those 'vines' (7 second funnies online) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. im so not into time capsules!!

    http://www.myunfinishedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! I'd include a really badass pair of boots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a similar discussion after watching the musical mixed tape which is about 80's. we discussed what woul signify the 2010s?
    iPad for sure. Angry birds. Low rise jeans. Platforms. You tube. Facebook. Blogs. Not sure how you put these in a capsule. It has to be digital may be. :)
    OH, THANK YOU SO MUCH for my bday card!
    I was so touched
    Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would throw in a list of diet fads from the past decade. Pills, plans, as seen on TV exercise equipment... a Zumba DVD...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I watched the video. SOOO cool! I wish I could have been there for the unveiling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... i had heard of time capsules but never of one actually being opened ! I would have totally flipped !!
    I think i would put a lot of pictures, mother seeds, recipes ...oh now, you've really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too awesome! I soooo wish I could have been there when the time capsule was opened - what an incredible feeling it must have been to know that your eyes were the first to see those items in a hundred years.

    I can't help but think, if I made such a time capsule, the abundance of vintage pieces I'd put in it might throw the future generation that opened it up for quite the loop, so I might not be the best candidate for one of these created today! ;)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. at first I really wouldn't know what I would put in a time capsule and I am too attached to my personal things. However, on second thoughts I would sacrifice a loved lipstick and write a letter to the people in a hundred years time. And maybe put in a pair of worn shoes. I did have a pair of worn out red shoes that I loved but couldn't wear anymore, so if I still had those, I would have put those in. Actually, come to think of it, I would put a Hebrew script and a chamsa in too

    ReplyDelete